Laboratory of natural product analysis
Our laboratory focuses mainly on application of different mass spectrometric methods together with many interdependent analytical tools in unique ways to address a specific clinical problem that is not sufficiently addressed by the existing automated platforms.We develop and optimize methods using one- and two-dimensional gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC and GCxGC-MS) for characterization of volatile metabolites/markers produced by cell cultures, tissues, fungi, insects and other biological samples such as human breath. Furthermore, we apply matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization-mass spectrometry imaging (MALDI-MSI) methods for mapping of biomolecules in diverse biological samples such as tissues, insect cuticle, etc.
- GC-MS and GCxGC-MS analyses of volatile compounds in clinical samples
- GC-MS and GCxGC-MS analyses of volatile components produced by insects and fungi
- MALDI-MSI of biological tissues
- International Atomic Energy Agency, Austria
- Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, Germany
- University of Debrecen, Hungary
- Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry of the CAS, Czech Republic
- St Anne’s University Hospital Brno-International Clinical Research Centre, Czech Republic
- Institute of Animal Physiology and Genetics CAS, Czech Republic
- Brno University of Technology, Czech Republic
- Masaryk University, Czech Republic
- Mgr. Dagmar štěrbová, Ph.D.
- Ing. Kristýna Pavelicová
- Ing. Kristýna Zemánková
- Mgr. Tomáš Rýpar
Topics of Ph.D. theses
- Optional topic
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Coordinated Research Project (CRP) entitled Cuticular Hydrocarbons: Towards New Chemotaxonomic and Chemo-Ecological Tools to Manage Zeugodacus and Bactrocera Pests? (IAEA Research Contract No. 23126/R0). Duration: 2018-2023.
- Ministry of Health of the Czech Republic (AZV) with project Central role of monocyte metabolic signature and transcription factors activity in sepsis progression (NV18-06-00529). Duration: 2018-2021.
- Do Nascimento RR, Vaníčková L, Mendonça AL, Galindo FCA, Tavares RF, Da Silva CE, Ferreira LL, De Aquino NC, Santos JL. 2016. Formulações sintéticas com atividade de cairomônio a partir de compostos voláteis emitidos por frutos Psidium guajava (goiaba), eficazes no controle da mosca-da-fruta Sul Americana, Anastrepha fraterculus. Universidade Federal de Alagoas, Maceio Brazil. Patent No. BR 10 2016 003821 9. Patent deposited on: 23/02/2016
- Do Nascimento RR, Vaníčková L, Mendonça AL, Ferreira LL, De Aquino NC, Tavares RF, Milet-Pinheiro P. 2015. Formulações com atividade de feromônio sexual, eficazes no controle da mosca-das-frutas Anastrepha fraterculus. Universidade Federal de Alagoas, Maceio Brazil. Patent No. BR 10 2015 016404 1. Patent deposited on: 08/07/2015
- Pires EP, Mendonça AL, Santos RS, Vaníčková L, Sant´Ana AEG, Do Nascimento RR. 2014. Composição com atividade feromonal e seu uso no controle da broca de frutos de Anonaceas. Universidade Federal de Alagoas, Maceio Brazil. Ptanet No. BR 10 2014 010066 0.
- Scolari, F., Valerio, F., Benelli, G., Papadopoulos, N. T. & Vanickova, L. Tephritid fruit fly semiochemicals: current knowledge and future perspectives Insects 12, 1-57, doi:https://doi.org/10.3390/insects12050408 (2021).
- Vanickova, L., Pompeiano, A., Madera, P., Massad, T. J. & Vahalik, P. Terpenoid profiles of resin in the genus Dracaena are species specific. Phytochemistry 170, 1-8, doi:10.1016/j.phytochem.2019.112197 (2020).
- Vahalik, P. et al. The conservation status and population mapping of the endangered Dracaena serrulata in the Dhofar mountains, Oman. Forests 11, 1-16, doi:10.3390/f11030322 (2020).
- Vahalik, P. et al. Metrics of growth habit derived from the 3D tree point cloud used for species determination-A new approach in botanical taxonomy tested on Dragon tree group example. Forests 11, 1-14, doi:10.3390/f11030272 (2020).
- Madera, P. et al. What we know and what we do not know about Dragon trees? Forests 11, 1-34, doi:10.3390/f11020236 (2020).