Laboratory of Space Agri Technologies
The Space Agri Technologies laboratory deals with the development of advanced technologies, methods and related research that can be applied for active plant cultivation or the cultivation of micro / algae and cyanobacteria in extreme environments, including space. At present, thanks to the great development of a number of technologies (remote sensing, GNSS, rocket launchers, etc.), and ever lower costs for their use, their usability in biotechnology, agronomy, remote sensing, testing of technological processes and equipment in demanding environments is significantly increasing outer space.
Many space technologies are already actively used today (monitoring of agricultural areas, production areas of the seas, etc. by remote sensing from satellites), many technologies are experimentally verified in Earth’s orbit (active cultivation of plants on board spacecraft and satellites) to studies whose the aim is to ensure the greatest possible nutritional self-sufficiency of the crew during long-term stays of people in outer space. Another chapter is the study of so-called extremophilic organisms, which are able to survive and successfully reproduce even under very extreme conditions. Understanding and understanding their ability at the cellular, metabolic or molecular level will help us understand these processes and successfully apply them to agricultural practice.
Thanks to new possibilities to get experiments on the edge of space, into the stratosphere (stratospheric balloons) or into the Earth’s orbit (nano / micro satellites), we gain valuable knowledge that we can apply to agricultural practice and develop their potential.
The main research is related to the following topics:
- study and research of extremophilic life forms on Earth, especially microalgae, algae and plants from the point of view of epigenetics and secondary metabolites
- research of microalgae and algae in extreme conditions (stratosphere, outer space, etc.)
- research into the possibilities of active cultivation of microalgae in the space environment
- development and verification of technologies for active cultivation and testing of experimental technological equipment for cultivation, including experiments and development of technologies for use in the space environment
- reverse conversion of knowledge into agricultural practice and innovative technologies